Monday, January 13, 2014

Finding My Voice

It's time. Time for me to find my new place in this changing world of mine. I don't write, because I feel like I have lost my voice, or lost my place. It's hard to say.

Transitioning back was rough, but I think a big part of that difficulty stemmed from the change in my family.

You see, when we first moved to Chile, my boys were getting ready to start their Junior and Freshman years in High School. A time when a teenager naturally, and appropriately begins pulling away. Fortunately for this mama, that move drove us closer together as a family unit. We only had each other for the first little bit. Even when the kids started making friends (and mom & dad, too) we still were connected as a solid family unit.

We're still a solid family unit, I hope that we always will be, but things have changed. The kids are pulling away (as they should be). I have less and less time with them each and every day. I treasure the little moments of undivided attention, the nightly meals filled with laughter (thank goodness for that). I am grateful for those little glimpses into their days and lives. They are fewer and fewer between.

I've managed to keep myself busy all of these years. Actively involved in PTOs and PTA, volunteering at the school. High school drops in terms of parent involvement. There are still opportunities, but nothing like what was required when they were younger. So what's a stay-at-home mom to do? What is my purpose exactly?

Do I get a job? Nope. I don't want to risk losing those few precious moments if I don't have to. My mother always encourages me to go back to school. I'm just not ready for that yet. I find myself searching for my own purpose.

At my church, we have opportunities to serve each other. Right now, I am tasked to work with the single people aged 31-45. I love it - but it doesn't require much of my time. So I'm expanding my role, and planning large Phoenix Valley Events and Conferences.

I have an amazing opportunity to work with the teens of my church, as they prepare for a once-in-a-lifetime Cultural Event celebrating the opening of our new LDS Temple in Gilbert, AZ. I get to work with my boys and their friends. I'm loving that.

So I am finding small things to do. Projects. Cleaning, organizing, labeling…

This whole experience happened once before, on a smaller scale, when my youngest went to 1st grade and I had to figure out what my purpose in life was without a little one to care for at home all day. I cried and cried to my husband that first weekend - but I quickly learned to appreciate, even enjoy my "ME" time. That will happen again.

I've realized that I do still have a voice. I just have to find it. I have to figure out what exactly it is that I want to say. What I need to say. Where I say it from.

I have come to one very important conclusion: It's not about leaving Chile that has rocked my world - my world was going to get rocked anyway, I just added an international move to the mix. Now it's time for me to find my way again.

2 comments:

  1. Hey dear Mama! This is Kitty, sitting in Ohio, and wondering how you are!
    Let's skype sometime and compare notes!
    Many hugs from Ohio,
    Kitty Anderson
    1-513-335-9453

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty! I miss you and your kind words of encouragement! Our internet is acting up - it's very spotty and keeps cutting out. I'll Skype you when we get it sorted out! In the meantime: tammy.r.schick@gmail.com is my email address :)

    ReplyDelete